[Dixielandjazz] Correcting Slang

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jan 24 22:50:29 PST 2011

Gluetje1 at aol.com wrote [in part]:
> The "old, retired" nurse in me just can't let "brain fart" word  use pass
> by one more time... I am pretty logically sure that the term that worked it's way into
> slang probably from some medical TV show is "farct", short for infarct... "an area of necrosis in a tissue or organ resulting from  obstruction of the local circulation by a thrombus or embolus"
> In other words a mini-stroke would also be a brain  infarct.

Dear Ginny,
It would appear to be, exclusively, a vulgar American term.
8>)
It hasn't reached Australia. (Well, my generation.)
Yet.
Wikipedia provides the following explanation:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_fart
However, the following definition, buried within annoying Google ads, seems to confirm your hypothesis.
   http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-brain-fart.htm
Well done.
Very kind regards,
Bill.