[Dixielandjazz] Sinatra in old age

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 24 19:33:48 PST 2011

Harry and Bob:

I think Maybe This Time, from Sinatra's 80th Birthday Album was
recorded in 1987 or 1988, though the album was release in 1995. It
gets 4 out of 5 stars among the Amazon reviews. One reviewer even says
"with Sinatra in magnificent voice throughout all the tracks." Another
syas his intonation is not what it once was, but his stage presence is
superb.

To those who feel sorry for, or felt that Sinatra should not have kept
performing as he aged I suggest you read the comments on the following
Sinatra family forum. See Nancy Sinatra's comment on why he kept
performing, she said:  "I asked him why he was still working when he
was obviously weary of it all and he said:" "I have to keep trying to
get to my supporters to thank them for being there for me all these
years."  IMO that says it all folks. As do the comments by his FANS on
the family forum.

http://www.sinatrafamily.com/forum/showthread.php?p=383215

As for me, I am a huge Sinatra fan. Saw him many times in Vegas during
my day gig years. Last time I saw him live was in 1994 in Atlantic
City at the Sands. I was gigging at the Showboat and got a sub for me
one night so I could see him perform. I watched from the wings. The
stage manager was our bass player's son and the room had been sold out
for months.

He was not as great as he used to be, BUT, that performance sent
chills up my spine. It was wonderful. Perhaps those who feel he should
not have kept going, have no soul?

I'd go to see him if only for that wonderful stage presence and how he
connected with the audience. Sure, he had some brain farts as he aged,
but then, who among us old guys hasn't been there on stage? The trick
is to make those lapses connect with the audience and he did that.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband