[Dixielandjazz] When to pack it in

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Jan 24 12:24:07 PST 2011

On Monday, January 24, 2011 9:04 AM, Steve Barbone wrote:

>I guess I'm in the minority here along with Ginny.  IMO, musos should
> keep performing as long as they enjoy it.

There are no absolutes.

I doubt that Steve would still have the same opinion if he had seen Earl Hines as I did.

For clarity sake, here is my post regarding this sad event once again.

At a Pianorama at one of the Sacramento Jazz Jubilees, now called Sacramento Jazz
Festival and Jubilee, Earl Hines performed.  I don't think he even knew where he
was.
He would start a song, end up playing another one, do the same old cliche (SP) series
of notes over and over.  Then go into an ending and play maybe 30 tags.  It was awful...
Unquote

Very sad indeed to see this great pianist essentially making a fool of himself.  I know them's strong words.  I know he did not know how badly he was playing.  I doubt if he even realized where he was.

I saw Louis Armstrong in 1968.  While he was in ill health and played very little trumpet, he sang, talked, and obviously knew where he was.  Perhaps if he had lived to be 90, he still could have performed and done a good job.

However IMO, when a performer is no longer capable of performing in front of an audience on a professional level, he should stop.  Perhaps in the case sighted above, someone, maybe a care giver, should have stopped Hines from continuing to perform.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office