[Dixielandjazz] When to pack it in

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 24 10:24:51 PST 2011

I remember Nat Adderley coming to the Glasgow Jazz Festival, with Mark Gross on
alto -- who has been back since (too long ago already) doing the Johnny Hodges
stuff in the considerably better than Ghost band led by an Ellington grandson.

Nat had a lovely line about being all his life next to the ideal, not only his
brother Cannonball but the occasion when he was in the next motel room to Sam
Jones during an engagement of a few days. I shall say nothing about "pack it in"
concerning the events in the Jones room...  so delicately indicated by Nat.  It
wasn't too long after the Glasgow date that one of Nat's feet was amputated on
account of circulation problems, and he died relatively soon after that.

The band played an encore, and Nat had no ideas there at all, absolutely
nothing, he looked tired, but he just served as a makeweight in the ensemble and
it was nice to hear the other guys in encore.
As for the concert, he was definitely not lacking in any respect (if you went
for his sort of music and honest energetic musical expression). He did sing at
one point, which was fun, but what I realised during the friendly encore was
that the little man had played himself out in the course of the main
performance.  He had nothing left, he had given his all.  He had paced the
concert with no sign of holding back, until packing it in for the evening
matched his moment of having to pack it in. Filled to the brim. So I feel
privileged to have seen him.

I also remember one superbly accomplished performer I heard at a time when Buddy
Tate and Billy Butterfield could be heard giving their all. No name, but he was
a lazy sod. He'd packed it in before he'd started.

I've heard others on a recognisable bad nights, under pressure.
And there were some people who had so much there was still some point in going
along to hear them -- the conserved remains or the ruins of a castle (like some
ancient opera singers, of a surviving uniqueness). I would probably have gone
along to see Earl Hines in old age. And of course there was Harry Edison, whom
Humphrey Lyttelton described from seeing him on a German cable TV broadcast, who
seems to have been diagnosed with some form of cancer when he was 69, and when
he was in his mighty prime. Humph described him as needing to be helped to the
microphone, and barely able to play, and it took some time for Humph to
recognise him.

A year later he was booked to appear in Stuttgart. I staggered back from the
poster, and would probably have done so even if I'd not known he'd just died.

There was an advert in a German jazz mag in which an obituary appeared.  Who's
going to tell the great musician?

Ah, me, where is the great jazz musician of any sort to which this could now
apply?