[Dixielandjazz] : Drummer Dennis Mackrel Leads Basie Band

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Sun Jan 23 18:11:54 PST 2011

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans list; DJML

From:  Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

Pensacola super-jazzfan Mike Lynch sends this link.

Dennis Mackrel was at Pensacola JazzFest 2010 along with pianist Russ
Kassoff, violinist Aaron Weinstein and guitarist Howard Alden.  Mackrel and
Kassoff have recorded together and, I think, Mackrel played with Kassoff's
big-band group.

Likely Mike Lynch may have remembered (white)  drummer Butch Miles who has
had at least two extended tours as drummer for the Basie Band.

fnv