[Dixielandjazz] the sounds of singers...

Glen Page gpage at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 21 17:06:21 PST 2011

Hello all,

Last night I heard a very good country blues style player and singer. I had
heard him previously in a competition in which I was one of three judges to
determine who the White Rock Blues Society would sponsor to represent us at
the international blues competition in Memphis in a weeks time..Last night
he seemed to be more concerned in his annunciation rather than trying to put
across the spirit of Robert Johnson or Son House. As a result the impact to
me was diminished. This is something that I have encountered previously and
although I do not suggest that a musician of any sort should deliberately
copy note for note, or vocal nuances of their predecessors I feel that what
I heard last night did not represent the music that first stirred the blood
in the singer or myself

The event was it a local pub where at the time of his playing there was only
a handful of blues aficionados, most people were watching the hockey on tv
and could not care less what the music was.To me it was a dumbing down of
what I like most of all

Cheers Glen Page