[Dixielandjazz] Moten's Blues.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 21 14:21:00 PST 2011

M J (Mike) Logsdon asked about:
> Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orch, 07/17/1929.  There is what sounds to me like either a pump organ or celesta.  Or could it be an accordion?  It doesn't really sound like an accordion, I don't think.  The "Chronogical" people only list an "Ira 'Buster' Moten-pac-2nd p".  "pac"?
> What is that thing I'm hearing?

Dear Mike,
It is what it says in the discography.
pac = piano accordion.
If you listen to other Bennie Moten tracks from this point on you will hear it again.
And again.
Ira 'Bus/Buster' Moten was related to Bennie Moten (probably a nephew) and shared composed credits on some of the band,s tunes.
   http://www.allmusic.com/artist/buster-moten-p107897/biography
Kind regards,
Bill.