[Dixielandjazz] Kay Kyser

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Fri Jan 21 10:22:17 PST 2011

On 1/20/2011 9:42 PM, Stephen G Barbone wrote:

>> From: Harry Callaghan <meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com>
>>
>> Interestingly, while I haven't heard the name Kay Kyser in some time,
>> yesterday was the birthdate of Merwyn Bogue, who under the name Ish
>> Kabibble, along with Ginny Simms. recorded "Three Little Fishes" with
>> Kyser's orchestra in 1939
>>
>> Who among us can ever forget those memorable lyrics, "boop boop dittem
>> dattem whattem chu"?
>>
>> And the people who bought the record that year were no doubt
>> ridiculing the
>> lyrics to "Sh-Boom" in 1954.
>
> Several times a year I work with pianist, Bill Whited, when our
> guitarist can't make a gig.
>
> Bill played with Kyser, and Ish Kabibble way back when. He lives in an
> old house close to the Delaware River in Philadelphia. Built about
> 1790. When I introduce him, I mention that historic house and he
> always shouts out, "Yeah, and I'm the Original owner."
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone
> www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Ish Kabibble helped my about-to-be wife overcome some wedding day
jitters at breakast that day in Nov. 1955 when  were going to be
hitched. She had come to New Orleans (from Northern Michigan, where I
was working with the Ted Weems Orchestra at the old Roosevelt Hotel, and
she had the pre-nuptial jitters. But Ish was also in town working with
a small unit he had, and he sat with her and talked her into a calmer
condition.
Unfortunately, he didn''t talk to me and at the time the Episcopal
priest began the marriage I was  a basket case.  We always thanked Ish
(Merwyn) for his kindness to Jean. Like most of the big band veterans of
that post war time still working, most guys knew or had worked with many
other players still in the biz and it was sort of a kindred family.
By the way - that New Orleans gumbo is good glue. Jean and I celebrated
our 55th this past November. (Ted Weems was proxy father to Jean at the
wedding.)
Mention of ISH always gets a warm glow at our home, even after all these
years. Good vibes, every time.
Don Ingle