[Dixielandjazz] YouTube and the 'Chipmunk' sound

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 20 13:47:47 PST 2011

Dear DJML 'nerds',
Our clarinet player and DJML lurker, Jack Wiard, has had to give up playing YouTube music videos and the Red Hot Jazz Archive because of a possible malfunction which speeds up and changes the musical pitch to an unlistenable 'chipmunk' level.
My own internet searches mention this effect as a novelty option but not (so far as I can find) as a problem.
Can our resident audio and computer experts please help Jack with his problem?
Has Jack accidentally initiated an audio option in his PC's MS preferences?
Very kind regards,
Bill.