[Dixielandjazz] Greatest Jazz Album Ever Recorded

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Jan 19 18:46:22 PST 2011

Harry Callaghan wrote:

(snip)
> In any case, again not appointing myself as the sole authority on the
> subject,  I invite anyone who is familiar with Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"
> recorded in March & April of 1959 to also give a listen to a Cannonball
> Adderley album entitled "Somethin' Else", recorded in March 1958.
> Through the years, i have heard of many, including Q, who regard the former
> as possibly the greatest jazz album ever recorded.
> The personnel is completely different, save for the fact that Adderley
> appears on both albums.  I have always enjoyed the latter far more, and I
> attribute that to the absence of Coltrane, who was on the Davis album
(snip)

"the greatest jazz album ever recorded"???  I don't think so.

I nominate Armstrong's first recording of "West End Blues."

And, who is Q?

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

"Congress was broadcast live on Facebook for the first time in history.
Now you can waste time and not get work done by watching Congress waste time and not get work done."
--Jimmy Fallon