[Dixielandjazz] Books: ABE Books

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Wed Jan 19 08:57:24 PST 2011

ABE Books has loads of them, but the prices sometimes are pretty
outrageous. Fortunately the entries are arranged by price.

While we're at it, I recommend:

Clayton, Peter, 1927- The Guinness Jazz Companion, Middlesex UK, Guinness
Books, 1989. 262p. Out of print. A readers guide in dictionary format.
Bix? You go to this book not for biography, but to find out what a "bix"
is. It does cover some modern jazz, but deals mainly with traditional jazz
and dixieland, explaining a great variety of terms and concepts in
American jazz to Martians, Brits, Ozzies, and will be most useful to those
other aliens, modern Americans. It has wonderful pictures from the early
days, and maps of cities showing key points in history such as key clubs
and ballrooms. Much on the British trad scene.

ABE Books has a goodly number of these, most at reasonable prices.

--Sheik