[Dixielandjazz] "Mil"

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 18 16:08:46 PST 2011

Yes, a "mil" (or "mill") is 1/1000 of something.

That's why you can still find a few little fiberboard discs in old cash
registers in country stores. In the Depression, States hated to lose the
sales tax revenue when the round-off to the nearest cent went against them.
So they issued their own 1/10 cent pieces (mil tokens) so the customers had
to pay to the nearest 1/10 cent.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.