[Dixielandjazz] Joe Venuti

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Tue Jan 18 14:22:07 PST 2011

Several discographies list an LP Jump J-0132 by Joe Venuti as being recorded in Australia in 1955. Tom Lord identifies the issue as Italian.

I have been collecting scrapbooks of newspaper clippings etc pertaining to jazz, including American visitors to Australia, since 1945. I also have local music magazines from 1955. Nowhere can I find any reference to Venuti visiting Australia in 1955, or any other time for that matter. I cannot imagine that had he done so the event  would not have appeared somewhere in print.

Did an Italiancompositor type Australia instead of Austria? Can anyone produce a copy of this LP? The title of one track is SYDNEY MOON, which could indicate an Australian connection, then again, another title CANADIAN GIRL points to Canada.

Help!!

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell