[Dixielandjazz] Living In Denial about Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 18 13:39:47 PST 2011

On Jan 18, 2011, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

> Marvin Ipswich <cornet at clearwire.net> wrote
>>

> Steve,
> As I see it, whether a person likes Coltrane, or denies Coltrane
> plays jazz,
> makes absolutely no difference. It's their choice. I just don't see
> what the
> sense of your point is, unless it is an attempt to make DJML readers
> feel in
> some way guilty that they don't embrace what you refer to as "modern
> jazz."

Yes, of course it is their choice. But I am surprised that you don't
understand my point. It was not about embracing what I called "modern
jazz." Nor was it about trying to make anyone feel guilty about what
they believe and/or embrace.

The original thread was about the difficulty of defining "Jazz" or
"Dixieland" as  words. It was reinforced by my saying that, for
example, some people live in denial about John Coltrane as a "jazz"
musician. (You and I seem to agree that he was) That you don't like
the term "modern jazz" helps prove my point that "jazz" is not able to
be universally defined. Likewise, IMO  "modern jazz", "trad jazz",
"Dixieland", New Orleans Jazz" or most other labels that we use are
not capable of being universally defined.

> I certainly acknowledge the fact that Coltrane comes out of the jazz
> tradition, was employed by jazz musicians, and his music is referred
> to as
> jazz. It's very, very unlikely that his position in jazz history is
> going to
> be seriously affected by anyone who denies his existence. I'm sure
> there are
> plenty of people who might, in a similar manner, deny that Jelly
> Roll Morton
> played jazz. So what? Doesn't effect my enjoyment of his music. I
> certainly
> don't feel compelled to stand up in righteous indignation and shout
> to the
> world that his music is jazz.

Once again we agree completely except that I do sometimes feel
compelled to "shout from the rooftops" as it were, that his music was
jazz. As a jazz musician, I refuse to accept some definitions,
especially those that would limit, what the music  called jazz is.

I prefer what Louis Armstrong said when asked what jazz is.  He said
"Jazz is what you are."  I take that to mean each of us has his own
personal definition.

And I prefer what Max Kaminsky said about jazz some 70 years ago:

"It came out of the raw stuff of life, but now everything seemed to be
changing. Jazz, like Dr. Frankenstein, had all unwittingly created a
monster in its own image - the jazz addict - who in becoming all
hopped about . . . its significance as an art form, very nearly
snuffed the life out of it. Jazz no longer belonged to the musicians
and the dancers. It was taken over lock stock and barrel by the fans,
the addicts, the record collectors, the amateur critics,the recording
companies, the promoters, the night club owners, the A & R men, the
lecturers and writers. These were the people who now decided what was
jazz and what wasn't, who dictated how it should be played and on what
instrument, and specified who could or could not play real jazz".

There is, of course another side to that. Over a decade ago I had a
long conversation with Warren Vache Sr about that quote. He said; "Max
wasn't always right." <grin>

And I get a kick out of Duke Ellington saying in 1962 in an essay in
"Music Journal" entitled "Where Is Jazz Going?"

"Recently I was asked whether I felt jazz had moved a great distance
away from its folk origins. With the present state of Rock and Roll
music I don't know how anyone can even consider asking such a
question!   Rock and Roll is the most raucous form of jazz beyond a
doubt; it maintains a link with the folk origins, and I believe that
no other form of jazz has ever been accepted so enthusiastically by so
many."

The other side to that is that Duke Ellington was known to sometimes
put people on so we can accept the quote at face value or not. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband