[Dixielandjazz] Cymbals (was banjo/tuba)

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Tue Jan 18 09:35:31 PST 2011

Bill Haesler wrote...

>If you are using the definition you gave in an earlier post that it is a
6-8" cymbal, then I have to disagree with you.
>The single cymbal favoured by the 1920s drummers was thicker and at least
15" diameter. And used to great effect by many of them. Think Paul Barbarin,
>Baby Dodds, Sonny Greer, Tom Stacks and, later, Ray Bauduc.
>To name only a few.
>Have a close look at the Carleton Coon kit in the C-S Nighthawk
photographs. It is certainly bigger than 6".
>It also has a deeper ring than the short "tish" of those awful 6" thin
splash cymbals favoured by present-day washboard owners.
>Even the modern 12" splash cymbal doesn't have that wonderful sound that
Carelton Coon gets.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Bill. I'm glad you brought up the PHOTOS of
the band, showing Carleton Coon's equipment. And awful is the perfect
description of the modern splash cymbals.

The Bert Lown recording of "Ball and Chain" is very good and I wonder why it
wasn't included in the TOM CD reissue...

Cheers,
Marvin