[Dixielandjazz] banjo/tuba

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:23:59 PST 2011

Awhile back someone on one of these lists posted an article about
Reisenwebers, a restaurant in NY's Columbus Circle area where the ODJB first
played when
they came to the city.

I would have given anything to see the faces of the regular patrons who
dined there with the customary classical  music in the background to
discover that management had
taken a completely different departure in providing music.

I doubt very much that what they played could have been considered
background music.

I read later that Jimmy Durante discovered them there and was a major factor
in securing additional bookings for them in the NY area.

It was one time rumored that he played with the band, but I believe if so,
it  was just on a "sit-in" basis and was never actually the band's regular
pianist

Of course, I invite anyone who is more knowledgeable as to the finer details
to fill in the pieces if necessary.  After all, I wasn't even born till over
20 years later.

Tides
HC

--