[Dixielandjazz] stirring the pot

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 22:42:30 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Dixiejazzdata <dixiejazzdata at aol.com>wrote:

> Seems as how I learned it, the original Jazz inventors were from Africa
> transplanted to the Southern parts of the USA and developed Jazz from
> many European and Latin cultures where their kindred were also transported
> to and eventually advanced the cultures of the music with African rhythms
> in similar places like Cuba, Brazil,
> the Caribbean and even Mexico.  New Orleans was a huge melting pot of
> cultures which included
> that of Spain and France  added into the mix.

Who were the "original inventors of jazz?" W. C. Handy? Jelly Roll Morton?
Does that mean the music played before them wasn't jazz, but their music
was? The truth is now obscured.

This makes my point as well as I could have. Jazz is neither African nor
European. It was born in America, of American parents.  It has traveled far
an wide since then.

End of conversation.

We'll see...

-- Paul