[Dixielandjazz] A question about improvisation

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Mon Jan 17 22:15:02 PST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Gates <kwg28 at sbcglobal.net>
To: B.B. Buffington <dixiejazzdata at aol.com>
Sent: Mon, Jan 17, 2011 11:11 am
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] A question about improvisation

An improvising question to performance level musicians---

While improvising a solo---what is going on in your mind?---

"Hope this is good enough to get somebody to buy me a drink "

A-The melody of the tune

This song ain't got no melody the whole band  is improvising
but hey it's an ORIGINAL tune in the making

B-The chord structure of the tune

Drummers don't play chords

C-How can I meet that nice looking person in the audience?

Yeah that works

D-Why is the drummer playing so loud?

He is trying to get the attention of the Trombone player's wife
or any other female in the room.  But mostly to drown out the Banjo player.

E-All of the above

F-None of the above

G-It's none of your business

Actually, this is a serious question.  I hope that there will be some serious

answers despite  my non-serious sounding list of possibilities.

Ken Gates