[Dixielandjazz] A question about improvisation

Joe Carbery joe.carbery at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:28:42 PST 2011

It depends how well I know the tune and how tricky the chord-sequence is.
(On "Body & Soul" I'm always conscious of where I am in the bridge.)
If I'm just learning a tune I think of the important chord changes and
areas. Once I know the tune fairly well I keep the melody running in my head
as a sort of route-map as to where I am in the tune and don't consciously
think of the chords.
On a blues I just play.
So, in short: Mainly A with a bit of B.

Regards,