[Dixielandjazz] Hip Music & Dress Codes.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 17 08:55:35 PST 2011

On Jan 17, 2011, at 11:19 AM, Rick wrote:

> Verrry cool!    I dig it!
>
> Rick
> Putting on his zoot suit, right now, to go downtown!
>
> On 1/17/2011 9:57 AM, Stephen G Barbone wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 17, 2011, at 7:52 AM, Pat Ladd wrote:
>>
>>> <<in the hipper jazz environs >>
>>>
>>> `hipper`? You wanna get out more Steve. Nobody has been `hip`
>>> since around the 40s, maybe 50s.
>>> You mean `wicked`..er..man!!!
>>>
>>> Pat (real cool) Ladd
>>

>> Dear real cool Pat;
>>
>> Au Contraire. Perhaps you need to get out more and join the hip
>> revival? (if it ever went away) Especially to those "cosmopolitan
>> centers" in the below quote. Might you be confusing hep with hip?
>> here is the CURRENT definition of hip. (from one of the hipper 21st
>> Century urban dictionaries)

>>  remainder snipped

Dear Rick:

For Europeans here are the hip dress guidelines. I suspect they are
not too different in OZ. In any event, jazz is Hip Music, but not the
kind of jazz we call OKOM. Same for the clothing as you can see.
Boaters, Vests, Red Shirts, etc., would all be quite un hip. However
banjoes and tubas might be hip under certain circumstances. Especially
if the players don't bathe.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Being a fashion conscious hipster in Europe is a little different than
being an American hipster, but just as effortless.

INSTRUCTIONS

Things You'll Need:

Hoodie/Leather Jacket
Shades
A french accent
Cigarettes
Lack of sleep
Lack of bathing

1
European hipsters tend to be even more unkempt and unruly than
American hipsters (hence the term 'Eurotrash'). To begin, your
countenance and demeanor must be mildly aggressive, like you are
constantly slightly angry at something going on around you.
2
Now make sure no matter how much you do or don't sleep you always have
bags under your eyes and your hair is always matted down.
3
Wear a leather jacket/hoodie combo with the hoodie underneath. Wear
skinny jeans and shades even when you probably don't need them.
4
Don't act like you are too interested in anything going on around you;
like nothing truly excites you.
5
Smoke cigarettes frequently. If this has you concerned about your
healthyou can just mouth inhale them, this is slightly less dangerous.
6
Finally, have a heavy European accent (preferably French) but never
speak in anything but this stunted English.