[Dixielandjazz] What is in the mind of the improvisor?

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 17 14:53:36 PST 2011

> "Ken Gates" <kwg28 at sbcglobal.net> wrote
>

> An improvising question to performance level musicians---
>
> While improvising a solo---what is going on in your mind?---
>
> A-The melody of the tune
>
> B-The chord structure of the tune
>
> C-How can I meet that nice looking person in the audience?
>
> D-Why is the drummer playing so loud?
>
> E-All of the above
>
> F-None of the above
>
> G-It's none of your business

Dear Ken

For what it is worth, here is my 2 cents as a performing jazz
musician. It depends. For example:

E. All of the above, depending upon the tune, the audience and the
drummer.

If I know the tune, I just go on automatic pilot, blank my mind and
listen to the chord changes as played by our guitar. I stand right in
front of his amp. We have been playing together for so long, that we
almost read each others mind and we challenge each other via
substitute chords, and/or modulations.

If I don't know the tune melody or changes, I hopefully have the chord
changes in front of me. If not, I listen to whoever is laying the
chords down and react. (only happens on requests that the rhythm
section knows, but I don't or when I am sitting in and the band picks
a number I don't know)

If the drummer is too loud, I blank him out of my mind or ask him to
play quietly. Similarly if in a strange band where bass, guitar/banjo
or piano are playing different chords, I pick the muso I trust most
and follow his changes. OR, I simply play the melody line as loudly as
I can and hope they will follow me. Then I take a second chorus and
improvise.

When I was younger, I would pick out a pretty girl in the audience and
play to her, weaving the horn around and making faces etc. Not unlike
Sidney Bechet used to do. Worked every time. I would also bend more
notes in an attempt to be "sexy". Actually that's how I met my wife
and we are still going strong 50 years later. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband