[Dixielandjazz] just a question, help greatly appreciated

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 12:22:39 PST 2011

Whiteman : Louis Armstrong & Paul Whiteman - Joshua Berrett
Whiteman himself did only indirectly have the influence as he didn't write much. His staff arrangers did great jobs, like Ferde Grofé and Lennie Heyton, Fats Waller, Fletcher Henderson.Grofé greatest effort probably is the instrumentation on Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin.  Still played by Symphony Orchestras around the world.Lennie Heyton arrangement of Nobody's Sweetheart is a classic  Henderson / Waller were involved in Whiteman Stomp.

Ellington :
Ellington, the early years - Mark TuckerEarly Jazz - Gunther SchuellerDuke Ellington - James Lincoln Collierthe Swing Era - G. SchuellerAlso interesting is Music is my Misstress, by Ellington himself, although it is not fully true.
The Big Chris Barber band specialices in playing Ellington arrangements from the 1920's Esp. the brass section is doing a very good job these days.There are several videos available.

Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma
www.dixielandcrackerjacks.com