[Dixielandjazz] stirring the pot

Paul Edgerton paul.edgerton at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 12:05:53 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Judy Eames <jude at judyeames.co.uk> wrote:

> How many native Americans play jazz?  Were white jazz musicians conceived
> immaculately or do a lot of you have European antecedents? Just wondering:-)

What's a native American -- somebody born the US? Or do you mean members of
the various American aboriginal tribes? There are surprising number of them
in jazz. Perhaps the best known is Doc Cheatham.

But really, in the second decade of the 21st century CE, What's race got to
do with music? Or nationality or labels.

Let's all just accept that labels and categories are highly subjective, but
nevertheless useful in discussing music. It might be helpful to give an
example to illustrate what is intended by a label. For instance, when I say
Dixieland, do I mean Al Hirt, Pete Fountain, King Oliver, Kid Ory, or all of
these?

-- Paul