[Dixielandjazz] stirring the pot

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Mon Jan 17 06:15:36 PST 2011

On 1/17/2011 5:13 AM, Judy Eames wrote:
> On 16/01/2011 23:25, Rick wrote:
>>

>> I'm not saying you guys CAN'T play our music...
>> you do a pretty good job.   But don't pretend
>> it's anything but Yankee music, OK?
>
> How many native Americans play jazz?  Were white
> jazz musicians conceived immaculately or do a
> lot of you have European antecedents? Just
> wondering:-)
>

> Jude

A very good point.  My European antecedents came
over here in the 1700's, unless they were here
already (Quapaw Great-grandmother.)

I'm pretty sure Jazz isn't in your genes, altho a
few coloured musicians like to think they have a
corner on it.

We study and practice the Pentatonic Scale, and
I'll bet most of those good coloured players in
the 30's didn't even know what it was, or that
they were playing it.   They just grew up with it.

I grew up with Jazz -- my folks were record
collectors, and started playing it for me in the
Crib.

If that was your cicrcumstance -- join the club.

Cheers,

Rick