[Dixielandjazz] Stirring the pot

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 16 16:10:34 PST 2011

On 16/01/2011 23:25, Rick wrote:
> Well, gee. A voice from over the sea!!
>
> I think you guys do a good job of imitating jazz.
>
> Sorry, Joe. Stay over there and have your illusions.
>
> We know what Jazz is, we know what (where) Dixie is, and we don't need
> some Limey to explain it to us.

Sorry Rick, I think Joe has it about right. as far as I know (and Steve,
who was around and on the scene may well correct me) the loose term
Dixieland was used to cover both white Chicago jazz (Condon etc) and New
Orleans jazz. It was also called Ragtime by some. I've not seen the term
Trad applied to American jazz in print prior to the British trad explosion.

> I'm not saying you guys CAN'T play our music... you do a pretty good
> job. But don't pretend it's anything but Yankee music, OK?

A lot of guys CAN'T play American music.It comes out differently and
mainly it is a rhythm thing. It has got better, but generally I can pick
out an American rhythm section by listening to the drummer, although not
all American drummers can do it.

The best of the current crop I've heard is Hal Smith, who has a real
feel for the music. I'd put him above Herlin Riley who did this on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvtWqpvo9Q

And Hal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Pjcbgcr58

> I already gave some examples of Frogs and Beaners playing this music and
> they do a good job. I love it!!!
>
> AND THEY HAVE A GOOD TIME DOING IT!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Cant we just have fun?

Yes you can have a good time but it is even more fun when you know the
music inside out and where it comes from.
--
John Petters - another limey!
www.traditional-jazz.com