[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 16 12:51:19 PST 2011

On 16/01/2011 20:39, Marek Boym wrote:

> We were not discussing Gerorge Lewis.  With Lewis they might have
> steamed.  The later bands did.  BTW, while still a young jazz fan, I
> went to hear Colyer in London in 1964, and he did not live up to my
> expectations, which were based on my jazz Bible (Rex Harris'  and
> Brian Rust's "recorded Jazz: A Critical Guide").

Have a listen to this Marek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A79yvcDRzIw
It is the band with Mac Duncan, Ian Wheeler and Colin Bowden. To me this
does steam (It is a studio recording). This has a looser frontline and
rhythm section than the Barber band of the time.
By 64 Colin had left and was never satisfactorily replaced.

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com