[Dixielandjazz] Is Skiffle OKOM?

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Sun Jan 16 10:38:23 PST 2011

On 1/16/2011 11:59 AM, Beth Schweitzer wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> My first introduction to skiffle was seeing the Boondockers at a "trad
> jazz" festival, with, among others, the incredible, late, great, Bill
> Gunter on washboard, and of course our very own Bob Ringwald on piano.
>
> Based on the fact that their venues were the most crowded of the
> festival, and on the music itself, I would have to say skiffle is very
> much OKOM.
>
> Having said that, I think it would very much depend on the repertoire of
> the skiffle band. The Boondockers played much more "dixieland" style
> music than the washboard wizards clip you referred to. Perhaps they were
> playing to their audience, but based on the band's members, I think they
> were playing what they wanted to play. And I really enjoyed it.
>
> Beth

I was going to use the Wizardz version of "Happy
Feet" -- which (I guess) is a  OKOM tune.

It seems to have disappeared from Youtube.   (I
hate it when they do that!!)

The Wizardz are clearly a Hot Shot cover, and
Wahoo is one of the HHS best known tunes.

They have a guitar (or banjo), a washboard, and a
horn.   That seems to be the principal criterion
for Skiffle.

I'm glad to hear opinions.   I don't much like
being "scolded."

Rick