[Dixielandjazz] Is Skiffle OKOM?

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Sun Jan 16 09:59:02 PST 2011

Hi Rick,

My first introduction to skiffle was seeing the Boondockers at a "trad
jazz" festival, with, among others, the incredible, late, great, Bill
Gunter on washboard, and of course our very own Bob Ringwald on piano.

Based on the fact that their venues were the most crowded of the
festival, and on the music itself, I would have to say skiffle is very
much OKOM.

Having said that, I think it would very much depend on the repertoire of
the skiffle band. The Boondockers played much more "dixieland" style
music than the washboard wizards clip you referred to. Perhaps they were
playing to their audience, but based on the band's members, I think they
were playing what they wanted to play. And I really enjoyed it.

Beth