[Dixielandjazz] Is Skiffle OKOM?

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 08:58:18 PST 2011

I can no more answer whether skiffle music should be regarded as OKOM than
what the hell is supposed to be dixieland.

However, I suspect that those who were familiar with Lonnie Donegan as
having earlier been a banjo player with Chris Barber's Jazz Band might be
more tolerant of it for that reason alone.

I just came from recording another one of my programs which I opened with
something from an album of jazz selections  composed by Andre Previn.

Andre played piano, accompanied by Jim Hall on guitar, Red Mitchell on bass
and Itzhak Perlman on violin.

Now, I believe that we all recognize Perlman to be a classical violinist.
So, by his very appearance on this album, did it then render it to be
classical music or did it remain to be jazz?

Answer:  who knows and who REALLY cares. The point is whether it is being
enjoyed by whoever happens to be listening to it without feeling the need to
classify or categorize it

As it turned out, I myself didn't particularly care for it.

Tides,
HC.

--
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts