[Dixielandjazz] West Coast Jazz

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Sat Jan 15 15:26:35 PST 2011

West coast jazz is a genre that is totally unlike
Trad Jazz!!

Characterized best by
+ Gerry Mulligan &c  (baritone sax)
+ Art Pepper  (alto)
+ Joe Pass (guitar

Each of these players is regarded by many as the
Best at their instrument.

While I lived in LA (1964-68) I heard many great
jazz guitarists.   Joe was the most fantastic.
I heard him play 20 choruses of a tune, each more
complex than the previous.   Just amazing.

Altho some people would categorize it as "Cool
Jazz" -- it had a soul of its own.

Made some of us feel that there was something in
CA besides fruits & nuts. <just kidding>

I just recently reviewed two versions of Don
Redman's "Cherry"

One, by McKinney's Cotton-pickers, is totally trad
sounding.
The other, by Gerry & Chet Baker, is SO COOL.

(We had a jazz band at the U of A called "The
Nomads" and both Gerry & Art were idols.)

Rick