[Dixielandjazz] This is GOOD!

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Jan 15 13:52:40 PST 2011

The Sheik advised us to use a link to read a good description of different
styles.  I did, and am glad I did so.  If you didn't go to this link, do so
http://www.prjc.org/tjen/styleguide.htm

I particularly like the way Mr. Robinson sews it all up at the end:
"Traditional jazz is a kaleidoscope of styles, one that is still being
turned to create new colors."  Wow!  Read the last paragraphs below.

Jim Kash

Why Draw These Lines at All?

There are many who sneer at any analysis of traditional jazz (or any other
music), stating that it is unimportant--or even destructive--to recognize
such categories as the above. I believe that the better we understand an art
form's inner workings, and the more we share that knowledge, the better that
art form can be appreciated.

Still, such categorization leads to labeling, which can be a dangerous
process. Labels must be used carefully and responsibly. If we use them
carelessly, the result can be that something we label is assumed, by
association, to have a certain characteristic that it does not in fact have,
or the reverse. The stylistic categories set out above are more safely
applied to individual performances than to artists. We must be wary of
"typecasting" artists (and such is not my intent in citing recorded examples
herein). And we must be careful to qualify our stylistic labels as we use
them.

Finally, it bears repeating that relatively few traditional jazz
performances are "pure" manifestations of any one style above. Mixing and
matching various stylistic elements is the norm--that is, after all, the
creative process. Traditional jazz is a kaleidoscope of styles, one that is
still being turned to create new colors.

  1996 David F. Robinson, Jr.