[Dixielandjazz] Dixie vs. Trad

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Fri Jan 14 15:04:59 PST 2011

I can't /define/ dixie, and apparently no one else
can!!

When I was at Little Rock High School -- 1952, we
did a minstrel, and we did "Are you from Dixie"

Well... I'm from Dixie, and I can't define Dixieland.

I can define "Trad"

Lu Watters put a band together in SFO, to play
"music"  It was patterned after the King Oliver Band.
It was the start of the "Trad Jazz Revival"

I cut my eye teeth on The Fire House Five Plus
Two, and then Turk Murphy.  We called it "Dixieland"
but it wasn't.  Troublemakers said "you can't call
it 'dixieland' because it's not from DIXIE"

Well that's right.  I can define Trad!   It has

Tuba
Banjo
The front three (trumpet, clarinet, trombone)
TUBA.
(why tuba??? because IT GOES WITH THE BANJO!!!)

Unfortunately, the early trad bands didn't pick up
the Splash Cymbal, which was a 20's staple.

So, the best trad bands now are not even in the US!!

Sharkey -- from the 70's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mx9eyBJmBs

La Porteno -- from the present.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9CJVGxwnLI&feature=related

Except for, of course,
Vince Giordano, who's Nighthawks obviously capture
that Coon-Sander's element from the 20's.

Vince was the bass coach at the Adult Trad Jazz
Camp I went to in San Diego, but I really didn't
get to know him!!

Anyway... historically... when the Firehouse Five
plus 2 started playing, people called it Dixieland.

"It's not Dixieland" -- the purists screamed --
it's from <gasp> California.   Yes.. and so was
Turk Murphy.

And Bob Schultz.   And we know -- it's not Dixie
-- it's TRAD!!

So.. anyway... I can't define "dixie" but I sure
can define TRAD.  And that's what I want to play

Rick Jolley, banjo
The Colorado Nighthawks
Colorado Springs, CO