[Dixielandjazz] Barnacle Bill

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Jan 14 14:08:01 PST 2011

Anton Crouch wrote in part:

when Hoagy Carmichael recorded two numbers. This was the occasion on
which Carmichael hired Bix Beiderbecke, together with such luminaries as
Bubber Miley, Tommy Dorsey, Benny Goodman, Eddie Lang, Joe Venuti and
Gene Krupa. "Barnacle Bill, the sailor" is notable for two things -
Beiderbecke's fiery 20-bar solo and a voice in the chorus substituting
"shithead" for "sailor".
(snip)

We have been over this several times before here on DJML.

I still say, listen to the song with earphones and you'll hear Barnacle Bill the shitter, not shithead.

It also makes more sense because shitter ends with the er sound as does sailor.

I wouldn't bring this up again if it wasn't that I have listened to the song many times and know what I hear.

--Bob Ringwald
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band
530/ 642-9551 Office
916/ 806-9551 Cell
Amateur (Ham) Radio K6YBV

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.