[Dixielandjazz] Requesting any background information on two reedplayers.

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Thu Jan 13 14:44:28 PST 2011

John

John McCarthy was born in Sydney on January 6, 1930. He is at present in
hospital recovering from an operation.

His first jazz job was with the Riverside JB, then the Port Jackson JB,
Graeme Bell's All Stars, Bob Barnard's JB and Geoff Bull's Olympia JB. He
has worked many club jobs and was leader at the Paddington RSL Club for many
years. He has worked many casual gigs, including reformations of the Port
Jackson JB, and appeared at many festivals and Australian Jazz Conventions,
which is where he played with Dave Dallwitz's Big Band.

I have issued a double CD entitled THE McCARTHY ERA, which covers most of
his recording career.

In a month or so I will be issuing my AUSTRALIAN JAZZ ON RECORD on CD which
will list all his recordings.

Best wishes
Jack Mitchell