[Dixielandjazz] What is Dixieland?

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 13:01:04 PST 2011

So far in this debate, the people who have made most sense are Eddie Condon (..We called it music...), Bud Freeman (  ...a "substantial musician" will say he just plays music and stays away from categories imposed mostly by people who are not musicians...) and Max Kaminsky (...fans, record collectors, the media, the critics etc., etc., should stop trying to categorize jazz and just let the musicians play...).

Amen to that. I can't remember now who said it, but perhaps the most accurate definition of jazz is "..it's just another way of playing music..." Not very helpful if you can't already identify it, but a truthful statement nevertheless. The whole categorisation thing is anathema to me, as I regard all swinging jazz as being essentially the one music and, unfortunately nowadays, it's all an endangered species in terms of mass entertainment.

Cheers,
Ken Mathieson (who regards all swinging jazz as "Classic Jazz")
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk