[Dixielandjazz] What is Dixieland?

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 08:36:55 PST 2011

On 13/01/2011 15:40, Stephen G Barbone wrote:

> Dear Marek:
>
> I have probably heard it many more times than you.
>
> If you can't explain what you mean, then what you say is worthless.

Trying to define /Dixieland/ on an international list isn't worth the
effort IMHO.  It's hard enough within a country.  It used to be a
pejorative term in the UK where what some call "New  Orleans" was king
of the traditional world.

Not long ago I had a discussion with a US fan, we started off by
thinking  that we didn't like the same styles  of jazz. When we got to
specifics, our likes and dislikes of bands playing at US and UK
festivals were almost identical.

As for saying that Marek's comments are "worthless" I've met him a
couple of times, his English is very good but not his first language so
give him a break!

Play nicely,

Jude