[Dixielandjazz] FW: The tune "The Chant" is NOT dixieland

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Jan 13 01:51:03 PST 2011

Marvin wrote:
>Jim - Obviously it means enough to me to raise the point, so yes, it does
matter, and likely there are others who subscribe to this mailing list who
might find the subject and debate interesting.

However, it is just that...a debate, so I put my 2 cents in.  I find the
pigeonhole business all a bit too much.  Just enjoy it...be it live or
recorded.

Marvin continues:
>I personally find it interesting when the band leader tells a little
information about the number being played, other than just the title.

Ah, but don't forget this music is played around the world.  Our normal
audience is made up of people from maybe a half dozen different countries
and different languages, so lengthy explanations are not part of our show.

Since our band is primarily made up of Spaniards (myself being the only
foreigner) & we've been based in Madrid for 44 yrs, I speak to the audience
in Spanish.  Aside from the different languages & cultures of our audiences,
the folks are mostly not particularly into jazz, and I'm just happy to see
them enjoy it live & purchase our cd's.

Their education begins with their enjoyment during our performance.  Their
enlightment will follow if they find it at all interesting.

I'm surprised that no one has chimed in on this subject to say the very
obvious:  that the tunes played by the original jazz bands in New Orleans
were popular tunes of the day, and were not labeled at all.  However, over
the years, some tunes have grown to be recognized as being in the
Dixieland/New Orleans style.

Jim