[Dixielandjazz] The tune "The Chant" is NOT dixieland

Marvin Ipswich cornet at clearwire.net
Wed Jan 12 16:02:48 PST 2011

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 22:40:56 +0100
From: "Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com>
To: <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] FW:  The tune "The Chant" is NOT dixieland

>>Marvin wrote:
>>The point I'm trying to get across here is it's the interpretation, not
the
>>song, that makes it dixieland.

>Does it really matter?  For me, as long as the audience is enjoying
>themselves, I don't care what you call it, or where the title is pinned.

>Jim

Jim - Obviously it means enough to me to raise the point, so yes, it does
matter, and
likely there are others who subscribe to this mailing list who might find
the subject and debate
interesting.

Not everything discussed on the DJML deals with public performance and what
may or
may not be important to the audience on a gig. Since you've brought up the
subject of live
performance, I personally find it interesting when the band leader tells a
little information about the
number being played, other than just the title. Very often there is a
fascinating history associated
with the composition or the recording of a tune. For me, that's part of the
process of the musicians
communicating and creating a rapport with the audience.

Respectfully,
Marvin