[Dixielandjazz] Sister Rosetta

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Wed Jan 12 15:44:49 PST 2011

On 1/12/2011 4:32 PM, Harry Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Marek Boym<marekboym at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> >  Gee, Sister Rosetta Tharpe!
>> >  Just read what George Melly had to say about her in "Owning UP."  I
>> >  had to read the book twice in a row - the second time for the passages
>> >  I missed the first time due to tears caused by hard laughing!.
>> >  Cheers

Sister Rosetta is very interesting.   She plays
electric guitar on most of her records.

She isn't all that good, but she's LOUD -- but not
so loud that she drowns herself out -- because
she's playing LEAD licks.

Her choice of material was always interesting --
songs that we sang "on the bus" --- songs that
have been covered by Jazz Bands.
Like "Trouble in Mind" and "Down by the Riverside"

Asked to list wonderful gospel singers, she would
be in my top five.

YouTube has lots of her work -- it's hard to
dismiss it as "just gospel."   I really like it.

Rick Jolley
Playing a lot of Gospel here in Arkansas -- where
there's a Baptist Church around every corner!!