[Dixielandjazz] audiences & smoke

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 11 04:46:25 PST 2011

A no smoking ordinance just went into effect in St. Louis and of course
there is the usual it will put us out of business rap fanned by the media.

Hi,
we have had a smoking ban in public places, pubs,offices etc for some years
now in the UK. Everything has shaken down. There are always small groups of
hardline smokers outside these places but in general it is thought to be a
good thing.I don`t think anyone has gone bust from the anti smoking
law.Certainly the `drink/drive` laws have had more effect on entertainment
businesses than any anti smoking legislation.
Most pubs are now quite reasonable restaurants as well and most people don`t
want a smokey eating place these days.
We have never had stupid things like trying to ban smoking on the beach or
in the street but smoking generally seems to be on the wane.

Pat