[Dixielandjazz] You need a good show to attract audience

Don Ingle cornet at 1010internet.com
Mon Jan 10 13:51:45 PST 2011

On 1/10/2011 12:33 PM, Stephen G Barbone wrote:

> Who says the hoi polloi don't like good music? I suspect this happens
> all over the world. IF YOU PRESENT IT RIGHT THEY WILL COME. No doubt,
> Louis Prima (or Louis Armstrong) with the "Saints Go Marching In"
> would have gotten the same reaction. So how come most OKOM bands don't
> thrive?
>
> Are we too busy presenting "My Canary Has Circles Under Its Eyes" as
> Art Music?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone
> www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Hey! What's wrong with "My Canary Has Circles Under Its Eyes?" I've
played it for years, learned it from Rosey McHargue, who learned it from
the drummer with Maurice Sherman's band in 1920's Chicago (pianist Ray
Sherman's dad), who leaned it in turn from the recording by Sophie
Tucker. We're talking HISTORY  here, my dear Stephen, and way above the
hoi palloi pay scale! <G>
Next thing some one will want to downgrade "T'ain't no sin to take off
your skin and dance around in your bones!" . . .  and a pox on such
unfeeling bastards. Mercy!!!

(Bet you our Ozian friend Bill Haesler has a copy of Sophie's "Canary"
record somewhere in his endless and always surprising collection. I have
it on tape right next to her "There's a Blue Ridge 'Round my Heart,
Virginia." Talk about Art Music!) <GG>
Don (Ah, yes - Art for Art's sake - and what everhappened to Art,
anyway)  Ingle