[Dixielandjazz] You need a good show to attract audience

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 10 09:33:08 PST 2011

On Jan 10, 2011, at 11:06 AM, Bert Brandsma wrote:

> The trouble is that OKOM doesn't get the right publicity, or
> publicity in general.
> It is not hip. Often seen as old peoples music and thus regarded as
> not interesting.
> The funny thing is, that it was popular after WW1 and after WW2. But
> I definetly hope we need something else than a war to get it popular
> again.
> I'm sure it is possible, since with the right selling tactics it is
> even possible to get Vienna Waltzes popular, see Andre Rieu, but it
> has to be done very professional, with a lot of aspects taken care
> of. Not only good music, but good stage manners and the right
> clothes as well. In general, you need a good show, look at Louis,
> look at Duke.

Right on Bert,

Check out this impromptu operatic show at the Reading Terminal Market
in Philadelphia. The venue is the food section of this market place in
an old Railroad Station. "A Random Act of Culture"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-dX8u5fg2c

The audience loves it.

As do the people who surf You Tube. While the above  one is new (Jan
8) a similar show at a Department Store (Macy's, Philadelphia October
30, 2010 has drawn almost 7 MILLION hits in less than 3 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU&feature=fvwk

Who says the hoi polloi don't like good music? I suspect this happens
all over the world. IF YOU PRESENT IT RIGHT THEY WILL COME. No doubt,
Louis Prima (or Louis Armstrong) with the "Saints Go Marching In"
would have gotten the same reaction. So how come most OKOM bands don't
thrive?

Are we too busy presenting "My Canary Has Circles Under Its Eyes" as
Art Music?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband