[Dixielandjazz] Anyone know about high frequency hearing loss/ear plugs for musicians?

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 10 07:49:08 PST 2011

It is a normal thing that when you get older you loose some hearing range. Esp. the higher frequencies tend to get lost.There is a natural component in this, but it goes faster when your ears are often in environments with loud noises.This was allready a problem 30 years ago when the submarine department found it difficult to find people with ears that were not destroyed by Disco's.
Symphony orchestra musicians also often have these problems, as a large orchestra can produce an overwhelming lot of Decibels.Esp. when an orchestra is in the pit, as I do one month a year in the Cologne Opera House.I also help out with the proffesional military music now and then, there are also many people with ear trouble. What do you want, six trumpets in your back, trying to play as loud as possible half of the time....
Of course a lot of Rock musicians are victim as well, they ever turn up the volume more, since a lot of them allready destroyed their hearing capacity at young ages. One point is the general volume, and then added with the brilliance of many modern instruments, like cymbals, they are killing.Another risky place is to play in modern big bands, lead trumpets above high C all the time.........
Also quite destructive is listening to modern recordings with earphones, a lot of children turn them way to loud.
The problem is, what you loose, you will never gain back....... it is in fact strange that there are so few warnings for this.... everyone knows smoking is unhealthy.......
So it is very good to play in small acoustic jazz combos, kind of easy listening thing, with disciplined musicians.
Many music teachers here in NL get earplugs from their employer. Best is when they are designed for you personally, since every person has a different inside of his ears.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma