[Dixielandjazz] Anyone know about high frequency hearing loss/ear plugs for musicians?

Misrad HaJazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Mon Jan 10 06:53:15 PST 2011

Shalom Jazz fans!

Being well into the second half-century of my life, I decided to get my
hearing checked, which I've not done since my army days a few decades ago. I
am not aware of any meaningful hearing loss in conversation, TV/stereo, or
live music listening. I just thought it was time to get checked out.

My hearing turns out to be normal in the range of conversational and musical
sounds, but on the high frequency end there is a definite loss that shows
up. My ENT doctor took one look at the results and said it is a classic
symptom for a musician who plays in bands or orchestras. He suggested that I
consult other musicians and seek info on ear plugs that are designed to
protect the ears against musical assault.

He says it can lead to tinnitus, which I have no trace of. The only thing I
notice is that I have some trouble hearing if I am in tune, especially when
I play with electronic keyboards or other amplified instruments, which I
rarely do. I am a die-hard acoustic man.

Anyone know anything about this, and/or have any suggestions about special
ear plugs for this purpose?

Thanks,

Elazar
Doctor Jazz Dixieland Band