[Dixielandjazz] Western Swing?

Rick rickz at usermail.com
Sun Jan 9 16:54:35 PST 2011

Western swing started with Bob Wills, but he
originally was trying to play what we now call
"Trad Jazz"

Back in 1928-29 Bob was listening to the
Coon-Sanders Nighthawks -- "The Band that Made
Radio Famous"  (I get a kick out of thinking about
Bob, down there in Oklahoma, listening to that
good jazz and trying to figure out how to
reproduce it with the instruments he had --
fiddles, guitars, and one or two horns.)

He did that.   The Texas Playboys played all over
eastern Oklahoma.  {When my son and I were
traveling there, every bar would say proudly
"Bob Wills played here."

They didn't call it "Western Swing"  -- they
called it "Music" and damn fine music it was.
Some of the guitar players were HOT!!!    Charlie
Christian grew up in that country, and went up to
New York and started playing those hot licks
(notably for Benny Goodman) and it because the
foundation for Bop!!!

You can read on Wiki about where the term western
swing came from.  There was "country" (hillbilly
music) and there was "western" (cowboy music) and
there was this other stuff, which was great to
dance to.    A lot of it was played in California,
by Spade Cooley and Tex Williams, and they started
calling it "Western Swing" to set it apart from
the stuff in Nashville.  It has Guitars, and
Fiddles, and Drums, and sometimes a harp. <grin>

The guitars are rhythm guitars, lead guitars and
steel guitars.  If you don't know the difference,
then you're hopeless, and I'm just wasting my time.

It may not be OKOM, but it's part of MKOM.

Rick Jolley
guitar/banjo/dobro/bass
http://rixwest.com