[Dixielandjazz] Is Western Swing OKOM?

Harry Callaghan meetmrcallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 14:20:19 PST 2011

On the other side of that coin, I should point out that "Austin City Limits"
a program heard here in Houston for many years (and probably made available
to PBS stations elsewhere) has gone well beyond their earlier policy of
having programs strictly devoted to country music.

As a matter of fact, while I don't always watch, I will check each Saturday
night to see who the performers are.  In recent months, I find that country
performers are becoming a very small minority on the program.

Likewise, the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo, which boasted a roster of top
name country stars when I  first came to town in 1975 has expanded the
variety of musical performers that it books each year.  While the majority
of stars each year continue to be in the country vein, they will mix it with
rock acts and one time I believe they even had Bill Cosby doing standup
comedy.

I don't know how famous he is nationwide  but following the success of Bob
Wills and his Texas Playboys, there arose a group called Kinky Friedman and
his Texas Jewboys, that performed and recorded several numbers of a somewhat
irreverent nature through the years.

Kinky also ran as an independent in the 2006 gubernatorial election here
and garnered approximately 19% of the vote but of course, was unable to
unseat the incumbent Rick Perry

Not just because I enjoy a wide variety of music (even including classical
and opera) but I think people who are what I think of as "pigeon-holed" in
terms of their musical tastes, and not willing to listen to other types of
music beyond their favorite genre, are just cheating themselves out of
enjoying the vast world of entertainment available to them.

If you're lucky, you probably won't have to hear from me for another month

Tides
HC

--
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts