[Dixielandjazz] no smoking!

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Jan 5 03:22:40 PST 2011

Well, after all these years describing the local clubs we play in as being
loud, hot & with a low cloud of smoke, I must now delete the smoke part!
That is due to (finally!) a decent law against smoking indoors publicly
anywhere in Spain.  They tried a few years ago with a law that was so full
of holes that the smoke got through (pun intented!).

On Jan. 2nd all ashtrays disappeared from tables throughout Spain where a
very large portion of the population are smokers.

There are comments about Nazi tactics (you can call in a complaint on
someone smoking next to you), and of course attacks on the liberal party
that is in charge of politics here, but the fact is....I can now come home
from work and hang my coat & trousers up in a room instead of isolated in
the laundry room as was my practice!  And, I am sure I wake up feeling
better than I did before, although that just may be my head telling me that.

The first two parts of my above mentioned "club description" still holds
true....particularly the hot part.  The club we are in this week has stopped
turning on their air extractors as there is no smoke, and now the heat is
killing us instead of the smoke!

Jim