[Dixielandjazz] Ethel Ennis interviewed

John Blegen jcblegen at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 28 07:03:19 PST 2011

Thanks for posting this, Bob.  I have a brief and very tenuous connection to
Ethel Ennis.  In the mid-80's I was working at Baltimore's public library, the
Enoch Pratt Free Library, and we were having serious problems with folks who
failed to return borrowed books.  Fines weren't working, so we tried a positive
approach, a publicity campaign with the slogan "Bring Back the Book: Make
Yourself Feel Good!"  In a rare creative moment, I wrote a musical jingle for
the campaign.  Our director knew someone who knew Ethel, and we asked her to
record it.  My friend Ed Goldstein, a great tuba player and leader of the
Peabody Ragtime Ensemble, wrote a big band arrangement of the tune, and we went
into the studio with Ethel and a fine band from Columbia, Maryland, to record
it.  She was very gracious, and did a great job with it.  It played as a PSA on
a number of Baltimore radio stations for a couple of years.  I have no idea
whether the campaign worked, but it was worth a try.  And I got to say that
Ethel Ennis had recorded my work.

 John Blegen, clarinet
Evanston, IL, USA
jcblegen.com