[Dixielandjazz] R.I.P. Steve Lipkins

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 25 15:51:18 PST 2011

Robert Ringwald provided the following obit:
> Stephen Lipkins, 93, Big Band Era Trumpeter
> by Nicholas Spangler
> Newsday, February 24, 2011
   in which is is stated that:
> ...Stephen Lipkins played and recorded as lead trumpet with Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Bunny Berigan and the
> Dorsey brothers.

Dear Bob,
Unintentional faint praise, unfortunately.
When set out in chronological recording terms the facts are much more impressive.
Tommy Dorsey. Oct 1936 - Jan 1937
Artie Shaw. Feb 1937
Bunny Berigan. April 1937 - Sept 1938
Les Brown. Sept 1938 - ?
Larry Clinton. June 1939 - ?
Will Bradley. Sept 1939 - July 1941
Artie Shaw. Sept 1941 - Jan 1942
Glenn Miller. Feb 1942 - Sept 1942
Jimmy Dorsey. Dec 1942 - March 1943
He was on the April 1950 Frank Sinatra "When You're Smiling/It's Only A Paper Moon/My Blue Heaven/The Continental" session for Columbia (which should please Harry Callaghan), worked with Ralph Flanagan then went into the studios.
It would therefore seem that his is well represented in many listmates' collections.
Kind regards,
Bill.