[Dixielandjazz] Corrections to posting of Feb. 20. New Orleans Jazz Doctors

Stan McDonald stanmm at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 14:20:11 PST 2011

I humbly subit these corrections to my posting re Tony Pappas' death, Gil Roberts and the N. O. Jazz Doctors: I misspelled pianist Robin Verdier's last name. This is the correct spelling. I also inadvertently omitted one the finest drummers in the Jazz Doctors, Eddie Marshall. I believe he is now in Florida. It was he, and not Jimmy Parker, who went on to play with Japanese pianist, Toshiko. I should have mentioned also that Jimmy's father was a superb pianist, although I never heard him.

These last corrections come from clarinetist, Dick Hurlburt, In Greenfield, MA, with whom I spoke for the first time in years, yesterday. Dick is now 83, a long-time musical instrument dealer, still playing. He  sold me my favorite Buescher soprano sax in 1972 -- fpr $100.  Dick is not up to speed on the Net, but can be reached at 413-773-3235. I'm sure he'd be glad to hear from anyone interested in the above history.

Stan McDonald